Iquitos is the capital of Loreto that is located in the north east of Peru. On the north limits with Ecuador and Colombia, on the south with Ucayali, on the east with Brazil and on the west with Amazonas and San Martin. Because of the difficult geography, it has no roads, and the communication is through air or river.
Iquitos is a place for people who like natural tourism and want to get in touch with nature and Amazon forests, you could get into jungle shelters , and get to natural parks and reserves, full of wild animals and plants with lots of places to discover by science. It is one of the most natural areas in the world.
Typical Dishes and Drinks
The most important are:
- Chonta or palmito salad, steam called pona.
- Cebiche de dorado, made of fish Inchicapi, hen soup, with peanut, cilantro and yuca.
- Timbuche, soup with fish and cilantro.
- Cecina, dried and salty beef or pork.
- Patarashca, fish covered with bijao leaves and roasted.
- Juanes, rice dough with pieces of chicken, covered with bijao leaves and steamed.
- Tacacho, cooked with green banana, mashed and roasted with fried pork combined with cecina.
- Inchicucho, cooked with corn, chili and peanut.
There is a great variety of tropical fruits like papaya, aguaje (palm with a purple fruit and orange inside), taperiba (called mango ciruelo), bananas, cocona, camu camu, maracuya and guayaba.
The typical beverages are:
- Masato: drink of cooked yucca and mashed, marinated with sugar.
- Aguajina, beverage made of aguaje fruit (palm).
- Chapo, prepared specially with mature banana (capirona).
- Shibe, prepared with farina (fermented yucca and toasted).
- Huitochado, prepared with huito, sugar and alcohol.
- Chuchuhuasi, prepared with tree parts of the same name, marinated in alcohol.
- Siete raices, prepared with cumaceba, clavohuasca, marure, huacapurana, chuchuhuasi, cocobolo, ipururo, sweetened with honey and marinated with alcohol.
- Coconachado, prepared with “cocona” sugar and alcohol.
- Huarapo, caña fermented juice.
- Piraña bite, prepared with rum and cocona.